Fermi Guest Investigator Program
Cycle-9 Stage-I Proposal Selections
The Stage-I selection process has now been completed. A list of the selected proposals is now available. The PIs of these proposals should review the review materials below and instructions in their forthcoming selection letters on regarding procedures for submitting a stage-II proposal.
Information regarding past selections including a historical summary of the GI program is available on this web site for anyone interested.
Fermi Cycle 9 Guest Investigator Program Stage 2 Proposal Submission Information
If you have been asked to submit a budget for your Cycle 9 proposal you will be required to use the NASA Solicitation and Proposal Integrated Review and Evaluation System (NSPIRES). The submission deadline will be posted at a later date.
Both you and your institution must be registered with NSPIRES. Because of the time this may take, register now, and if you think you are registered, check now to make sure your registration is current.
Guidelines for Preparing a Successful Stage 2 Budget Proposal
- The total budget request can be no higher than the budget "cap" specified in your Stage-1 selection letter; please note that the requested funding for CoIs on foreign-PI proposals is expected to be substantially less than funding requested for U.S. PI proposals.
- The assessment of the appropriate level of funding for an investigation will be based upon the factors specified in Appendix D.6. These include the perceived scope of the investigation and other sources of support relevant to this request.
- Budget proposals from U.S. PIs and U.S. Co-Is on foreign-PI proposals will be considered in the Stage 2 review, but the cap specified in the NRA applies.
- Sub-grants from NASA to separate non-government institutions will not be issued - the PI institution is responsible for the issuing any sub-awards to Co-I institutions.
- For investigations with more than one U.S. CoI on a foreign-PI proposal, only a single budget proposal from a designated "budget PI" may be submitted.
- The "budget PI" on the Stage 2 (budget) proposal may differ from the "science PI" on the Stage 1 (science justification) proposal. If so, please state this clearly in the budget narrative and provide the name of the science PI on the appropriate webform.
- You may not use grant funding to bring a visiting foreign collaborator to work with you.
- Fermi GI funding may be used for facilities, detectors or computers dedicated to the collection and archiving of multi-wavelength data relevant to Fermi.
- A duly registered Authorized Official of your institution must submit your budget proposal via the NSPIRES web site (http://nspires.nasaprs.com/) following the instructions in the Summary of Solicitation of ROSES 2015. This almost definitely means that you cannot start working on your budget submission on the due date!
- All forms are submitted electronically.
Elements of a Successful Stage 2 Budget Proposal
- The abstract of the investigation as submitted in Stage 1 (i.e., do not resubmit the entire science proposal)
- A summary of the budget justification (12-pt minimum font with reasonable margins), not to exceed two pages for "regular," or three pages for "large" proposals and including: a) a breakdown of the work assignments for all funded investigators, including a justification of any major purchases including workstations, b) a list with justification of proposed scientific travel, c) publication costs, and d) any cost sharing applied to this project. Please be specific when requesting funds for travel, giving the proposed destination as well as the estimated costs form registration fees, airfare, lodging, meals, etc. for each trip. Please identify the science PI if different from the budget PI.
- A listing of any current and pending support, noting grant/contract titles, and a short synopsis of currently ongoing work
- Budget details should be prepared according to the guidelines of the PI or Co-I institution, detailing the requested any itemized expenditures
- For large or multi-year proposals please provide a detailed budget for each year proposed. Note however that only current year amount (once approved in the budget review) constitutes a commitment by NASA. Continuation of funding for subsequent years will be contingent upon the demonstration of satisfactory progress and available funding.
- All required government certifications
- A 1-2 page CV for each PI or Co-I requesting support.
- All information that is not submitted through a webform may be uploaded in a single PDF file.
|NSPIRES website live
|Stage 2 budget proposal due date
||TBD - mid June
|Award Initiation (FY16/FY17)
||August 2016/October 2016
- The NSPIRES web system provides assistance; note that the NSPIRES helpdesk is staffed 8am-6pm EST. Since NSPIRES' technical support may not be aware of the Fermi-specific aspects of Stage 2, please contact the FSSC if you receive instructions that differ from those provided here or in the letter inviting you to submit a budget.
- Technical questions should be directed to the FSSC helpdesk.
- Policy questions should be directed to NASA HQ.
- Many issues relevant to the GI program are discussed on the FSSC FAQ page.
Documentation for Past GI Programs
This information is retained for historical reference only. Please refer exclusively to the documents pertaining to the current proposal cycle in preparing your proposal.